Thursday, December 6, 2012

#10 The little stuff

I have been told by several people that it usually takes a few days to bounce back from a treatment.  With that in mind, I had planned on spending Saturday in the Hospital getting an expensive lube job, and Sunday/Monday at the house doing whatever it is that chemo patients do.  I experienced some brief, albeit violent retroperistalsis on Sunday evening but once it was over, I felt somewhat "normal".  I was able to make it to church on Sunday and on Monday morning I made the decision to go back to work.  I wasn't feeling great but I knew I would feel worse if I laid in bed thinking about it.  Work went well.  I think there were a few people surprised to see me back but all in all, it was business as usual and then I started to notice a few small things that reminded me that I was still a patient.
  • Skin peeling like a sunburn on my fingers.
  • A flushed face,  again, feeling like a sunburn in the evenings and mornings.
  • Waking up with itchy hands that are red as if you have held them in hot water? (thanks Greg, and Dr. Sheffields)
  • Mouth sores!  My mouth has felt like an oral minefield the last few days. 
The most surprising thing about this week has been some signs of mental stress.  I am about 50/50 for having dreams about chemo.  I'm not talking about some indirect tie to treatment,  I am talking about full on, connected to the port, tubes, meds, heat flashes, and a general feelings of terribleishness.  Nothing makes the body feel more refreshed and rested than a chemo dream.  I thought I was handling things well but apparently there is more to it.
 



2 comments:

  1. You are doing awesome, Justin, keep it up!!!

    I forgot to tell you about the itching. It's funny, if I itch my hands, even still, the redness, hive looking things, and everything comes back. I used some calamine lotion a few times. I am not sure if it helped or not though. Sometimes it did, other times, it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a mouth rinse for the sores in your mouth too! Drink lots of water. The trick is to get the Chemo through your body as fast as you can, before it kills the good stuff. Water tastes like metal, but I would still try to choke down as much liquid as I could possibly keep in. You can do it! It's a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete