Tuesday, December 11, 2012

# 11 Lymphing Along

Even though we have been through the first treatment, it still feels like our home is gearing up for the long haul.  Part of that feeling may have come from Angie's desire to get family pictures done.  The pictures went as good as one could expect. Marci Freeman was great. Check out the rest of them HERE.
Brady Bunch
I believe most of the push for pictures was for fear that I would be losing my hair soon. I have suggested that I take matters into my own hands and just cut it all off but Angie was able to talk me down. We haven't spent much time discussing why she took a "no cut" stance and I don't know that we need to.  Clearly her preference would be for me start loosing large chunks of hair working at my desk or in a meeting rather than suffer any embarrassment loosing it at home on my own terms.  Who knows, maybe I can start a new men's hair trend where it appears as though you just combed your hair with a lawn trimmer and got a little too close.  Call it the Whack or the Napalm? Should be interesting.  I think I will knock it out this weekend.  It might be fun for Gracie and Hudson to develop a new skill set.

I have been wanting to get out and run a little bit to get an idea of where I am at physically. I know I have taken quite a nose dive since July.  I decided that I would try to run a week after each round of chemo.  I had Gracie on her bike as my pace setter this week and was able to run most of a mile. It was tough.  Muscle fatigue hit me about 300 yards in.  It was a different kind of tired.  I didn't really get any burn, it was all just shakes.  The other odd thing was that I didn't get sore muscles but my bones ached. I am interested to see where I am in the coming weeks.  As this is a purely scientific study,  I have sacrificed any additional daily exercise as to not skew my twice monthly run performance.  As a side note; my resistance training doesn't appear to be affected in any way.  I picked up a 20# kettle ball at sports academy and was fatigued after one bicep curl. Everything seems to be on par with pre-C conditioning.

Next Ups
  • Buzz cut
  • Appointment with Onc, Radiation Doc, Blood work on 17th.
  • R-Chop round two -20th












3 comments:

  1. Sorry, my comment are going awry. Too many little helpers around me. It's nice to see that you can joke about it, only you can make chemo sound entertaining. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wise man once told me, sometime back in 1991-92, "you should shave your head - then you won't look like a teddy bear and you can intimidate people" ... or something like that. That one simple piece of advice still affects me today.

    Justin, you have started looking like a teddy bear and I fear you are losing your edge at work. It's time to shave your head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a great wig, if you wanna borrow it :) Actually all the kids have used it one time or another. I wore it twice, once to my uncle's funeral, and the other to Morgan's Junior Prom. Both times I did my receding hairline image. I pulled it way back off my forehead, and exposed my bald head to look like old man Statler and Waldorf on the muppets. Laughing relieves others. Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete