Tuesday, May 7, 2013

#24 - Merrell Out,,,,,,****Mic Drop******* Feedback

On April 19th, 2013 Angie and I made our last trip to MDA for radiation therapy.  I struggle using the word last,  for fear that I somehow jinx myself and have to make a return trip.  I'm not necessarily one for superstition, but at the same time,  I don't want to pretend like I can wash my hands of this and move on without a care.  There is a reason I will continue to have pet scans every three months for the next two years, and every 6 months for 3 years following that.  My guess is that if all goes well over the next 5 years, that I will be more confident and more likely to celebrate.

Well that was a great start to a Celebration post!  The last treatment was a very odd feeling.  It was something that I had marked on every calendar that I own.  It was a day that I had thought about while laying in the hospital bed hooked up to the chemo drugs. (which I can now type without waves of nausea) In the end it was somewhat anti-climatic but satisfying.  During the last check up prior to the treatment, the doctor informed me that although my treatments were over, that the side effects would increase with severity over the course of the next week to 10 days. 

The treatment itself was by the book.  The only difference was that at the end of the treatment, I was given an opportunity to ring the bell.  I wasn't all that excited to ring the bell but I believe Angie was looking forward to doing something that marked the end.  After a hearty bell ringing we took a couple of pictures with the radiation staff and went to find my favorite valet of all time.  Again,  I'm not entirely sure of everything she said but I knew exactly what the tears in her eyes meant when I told her it was my last day.  Who would have guessed that most personal connection I would make during my adventure at MDA would be the valet.  Of all the lessons learned, this lesson of empathy, and genuine love for me, the stranger, probably has more applicability moving forward than any other.
 



Nearly unbridled excitement to ring "The Bell"
Radiation staff that put up with me for a month.
The best parking valet of all time.  Made me smile every day.
\
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.


Next up: Port Removal & Normalcy?





No comments:

Post a Comment